Friday, July 31, 2009

Throwing The Bad Away

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind. When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away. Matthew 13:47-4

I realized one iniquty in me. I was glad something bad happened to someone.

This someone was my former colleague and had numerous times I did not agree with him. There were times I hope he was not coming to the office. I questioned his approaches and strategies. I argued with him to make my point. I sometimes undermined him. I spoke against him behind his back and in front of him.

And then the news about this not so good thing happening to him came to my ear. As I heard this, deep in my heart, I smiled. I silently said to myself, good thing bad thing happened to him. I was happy that someone was suffering. I was glad that someone was standing on tough times. I was committing a sin. I was doing something wrong. I was doing something bad. I was convicted to pray to God and ask for His forgiveness and renewal and went to confession.

When the fisherman’s net caught me, I was an imperfect fish. I am not a fish for the aquarium at the living room or at the hotel lobby. I am not a fish fit for a photo shoot with the fisherman. I am not a fish for display on the celebration meal table. I am still an imperfect fish. Praise be to God, I was put into the bucket. Thanks be to God, I am swimming in His bucket. He is calling me to throw away the bad in me and not me being thrown away.

God does not throw the bad fish. God throws away the bad in the fish.

God does not throw the bad person. God throws away the bad in me and you.

No comments: