Saturday, December 05, 2009

Give What Your Received

Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, gave thanks, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds. Matthew 15:36

Our elder brother Jun would tell me to give the day’s sale to our father as I come home after lunch. We were managing our small textile store back then. It was one of my misdemeanors to get from the total money before I would hand it over to our father. Of course, this was wrong and is a sin. And of course, I was caught doing it and our father was really mad at me and at what I was doing. Before you say, I am the worst of sinners, let me illustrate my point. My brother gives me the total amount. I get something from this total and I give to our father just a significant part of that total. It may be a major piece of the whole amount but still it’s not the complete package of what I received.

The disciples did not take anything from what was given to them. Jesus gave to the disciples. The disciples gave to the crowd. And when the twelve gave to the crowd, they gave what they received from Christ. I believe this is one trait of a disciple. To give wholly what you have received. To share totally what you possess. To hand over what was handed over to you. Pass on what was passed on to you. To be a disciple is to allow ourselves to be channels of His grace. Notice the chain reaction here: Jesus -> Disciples -> Crowd. If what you received is given to others, then you are a disciple. If what you received is kept with you, you are a member of the crowd.

I encourage you, be a disciple. Give what you received.

No comments: