Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Answering with Actions

When the men came to him, they said, "John the Baptist has sent us to you to ask, 'Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another?'" At that time he cured many of their diseases, sufferings, and evil spirits; he also granted sight to many who were blind. And he said to them in reply, "Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind regain their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have the good news proclaimed to them…." Luke 7:20-22

Picture a low-level techie demonstrating to an older person how to use Yahoo Messenger or Skype for real-time communications. She has a lot of questions. How to install the software? How to make an account? How to add contacts? How to make a video call? Can she chat with others? So I received all these inquiries about using all these internet communications. I wanted to answer them in words but in my mind it will be really tough getting my points taken. I decided to demonstrate to her how to do it. We came in front of her desktop and for less than an hour I answered her curiosity and she well understood my responses to each inquiry. I answered her questions with actions.

Jesus did this. When John's men came to Him to ask, 'Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another?' Jesus did not say a word. Jesus did answer the question with actions. He cured the sick. He eliminated sufferings in people. He drove out demons out of people. He made the blind see. He made the lame hop and jump. He unclogged the ears of the deaf. He raised the dead to live again. He proclaimed the good news to people having bad times.

Jesus does this. When you come to Him to ask, "I thought You will provide for us?" He will give you more than financial blessings. When you come to Him to ask, "Will You please heal my wife?" Jesus extends His hands to your wife and she is healed. When you come to Him to ask, "What am I doing here?" He spreads His plan in your heart. When you come to Him to ask, "How can I serve You?" Jesus empowers you. When you come to Him to ask, "What else can I give You?"Jesus brings you more of Him.

Jesus' words have power. Jesus' actions show that power. And when we have questions, He replies more than words. Jesus answers with actions.

No comments: