Tuesday, November 24, 2009

All and Whole

He said, "I tell you truly, this poor widow put in more than all the rest; for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood." Luke 21:3-4

We were settled as a family. Before coming to the United States in 2007, we have had a comfortable life in the Philippines. We have our own home. I have a stable job which was giving me a promising career. My family is well-off despite economic issues surrounding the country. As a family we had no problems with physical health and enjoyed fruitful relationships with our relatives, catholic community and friendship circles. When I got a job offer to work in the US, we felt this was God’s direction. Uprooting us from our comfortable life and a stable livelihood required more discernment however we decided to respond.

As we settled in our new home after living for two years in the United States, I thanked and praise God for enabling us. As the days went by, our family is living comfortable. There may be some new challenges in maintaining the house and paying for it yet my wife and daughters find haven in this place. My job is stable and the company I work for is reacting to the recession positively. My daughters are well adjusted with their schooling in our place. We have found new relationships with brothers and sisters who came from the same singles professionals group we used to be with in the Philippines.

And then I reflected on this story of the widow who gave her whole livelihood in God’s treasury. Her two cents may be too insignificant and may not be needed considering the amount that might be in the offertory but Jesus notices she gave her all and she gave it whole.

And the scenario gave me the usual chill. It’s about giving your all and whole to God. It may be insignificant and may not be needed as it seems but Jesus notices. We were settled in the Philippines. We were looking forward to stay put, but God said “Pack up!” and we responded by giving our all and whole. Now we are settled in the US, we are looking forward to stay put, if and when God says “Pack up!” and I pray may God give us the grace to respond and give our all and whole.

No comments: