Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mercy Living

“Be merciful, just as (also) your Father is merciful.” Luke 6:36

Mercy is defined as to help the afflicted, to bring help to the wretched. It is more than a lip service, where a person says “I forgive you”. It is going beyond those words by helping the afflicted to move out from his wrongdoing.

When I was in elementary school, I got caught by my parents getting some money from my Aunt’s wallet. I was disciplined by my mother after that but my parents continued to love me, continued to give me education and empowered me by giving me responsibilities in our home. When I was in high school, I got disciplined again by my father when I was caught getting money from our store’s cash box. Likewise my parents continued to love me, continued to give me education and empowered me by giving me responsibilities in our home. When I was in college, I got caught getting money from our store’s daily sales and was disciplined by my father. Likewise my parents continued to love me, continued to give me education and empowered me by giving me responsibilities in our home. Looking back, I believe I am where I am now because of my parents’ mercy on me. They could have stopped in providing good education to me when it seems I had no hope of changing my wicked ways but they did not. They could have told me that I am a hopeless wretched but instead they saw hope that I can change. I am grateful my parents did not give up on me. I am thankful they did not turn their backs on me. Instead, they educated me, empowered me. They had mercy on me.

God does the same way with us. He gives his pardon and strengthens His people. He does not leave us even if we live as sinners. He does not turn His back on us. He does not give up on us. He is always hopeful that we can change our ways. He sees hope beyond our afflictions. He empowers us to rise from our iniquities, to overcome temptations.

Jesus invites us to be merciful as the Father is merciful. He is encouraging us to forgive and empower people. He is telling us that words and works of mercy combined can be shown through us to other people as it is shown by the Father to us. By the grace of God, we live to receive mercy and we live to give mercy.

No comments: