Sunday, May 09, 2010

Goal

This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. John 15:12

I was watching ESPN Sportscenter with my daughter, Bless. She was stunned the way they dunk the ball. She made an "oooh and aaah" when she saw an alley oop. A four-point play was featured and she gave her nod. The team scorer created an acrobatic shot to which Bless said, "He's good!" Her eyes twinkled when a fastbreak was perfected and completed. I never saw her like this. I never heard her say these things. I was in for more. Upon realizing all these plays, she concluded, "The basic thing in basketball is knowing your goal." It dwarfed me.

It's the same thing in life. For sometimes, I am immersed with what I have to do. I have to work at the office. I have to work at home. I have to cook for them. I have to mow the lawn. I have to remind them to brush their teeth. I have to wash the dishes. I need to attend to the laundry. I need to call the repairman. I have to take care of their schedules. I dunk it. I pull an acrobatic shot. I complete the fastbreak. A four-point play on the way. Jesus reminds me of the very basic goal - love one another as I love you.

It's the same thing in church or community. You have those sometimes. You want to deliver to the best talk ever. You serve the brothers and sisters in a most effective way. You sing in the most diva manner in the music ministry. You lead the small group to make their life larger. You prepare the activity like a professional event coordinator. Efficient and effective. You dunk it. You create a shot for the poster. You lead the fastbreak. An extra point from behind the arc. However, do not be overwhelmed. Be reminded of the basic goal - love one another as I love you.

Don't be dwarfed. Be a giant. Know your goal. Love one another as I love you.

No comments: