Saturday, October 18, 2008

Positive Encouraging

When I came to the United States, being alone, I always needed encouragement. I have to go without my family since they have to wait for their interview and approval of their visas. I was coming to a place where I have no relatives or friends. I was not even sure of the surrounding or the environment where will I stay in. Sure, I was employed in a company where there are Filipinos but I felt the need of support I have always had back in my catholic community in the Philippines.

On the second week of my employment, the company rented a car for me. When I turned on the car radio the FM was set to KLOVE Christian radio station. The motto of this station is Positive Encouraging. They play songs of encouragement to the lonely Christian soul all day and all night. Songs of worship and praises to God where loudly introduced by the DJs. DJs most often provided reflective inputs on each song and even with the current events. Tremendous positive encouragement is what I felt and feel every time I listen to this station. I felt that God was with me all along. I was really positively encouraged by what I am hearing from the songs and short reflections from KLOVE. Even now that my family has joined me here, our car radio is glued on this radio station.

Paul wrote in Philippians 4:8-9 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." From KLOVE radio station, I was encouraged positively because I was listening to true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable. My mind was always filled up with praiseworthy Christian values every time I tune in to the radio station. By God's grace I have tried to live out and practice the things I was listening to as time progresses in my "new" life in the US.

Every Christian needs positive encouraging messages. When you belong to a church or a community, someone will need positive encouraging words. They will come to you for advice and counsel and seek to be positively encouraged. People would love to hear affirmation and a push towards doing what is holy and good.

But sometimes we get to the wrong direction. When others who needed positive and encouraging words sometimes stumble on people who gives the following:

o Positive discouraging - wanted to encourage but with the wrong choice of words the listener gets tangled with ill emotions
o Negative encouraging - wanted to encourage but the speaker focused on the darker side of the story

Brothers and sisters, fill your hearts and minds with the word of God. Fill your hearts and minds with whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable. Time will surely come that a friend, a brother or a sister will need your positive encouraging words. And be sure to speak those words with LOVE.

P.S. You can listen live streaming on the web - http://www.klove.com/

No comments: